Financing LPN Training

There are many grants and scholarships available to help individuals who want to attend school to qualify for LPN jobs. For example, there is the Federal Pell Grant Program. Check with your programís financial aid department to see if they participate in the program. Federal Pell Grants do not have to be repaid. Various factors go into determining the total you may receive, but the 2011 year designated maximum is $5,500. Schools disburse this money each term. It is not dependent on extreme academic success, but you should be dedicated to your studies. You will need to fill out the FAFSA, which stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. By filling out the FAFSA, you become eligible for any federal money available for nursing students. Read more about FAFSA at

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services sponsors several grants that are specific to nursing students. These grants are dispersed to various training programs throughout the United States. You can receive a Pell Grant in addition to one of these grants. Even if you are not eligible for the Pell Grant you may still be eligible for these monies. Again, check with your program's financial aid office.

The next place to check for money is state grants or scholarships. Check with your stateís Department of Education. They can direct you on how and where to apply. Some can be applied for through your training program, but with others, you must apply directly. Once that is accomplished, it is time to explore professional organizations, location, and trade scholarships.

If you have ever belonged to any civic groups, religious organizations, or or other social groups contact the groupís administrative team for information or possible scholarships. Often the only requirement the group has is that you were once a member and are now enrolling in a formal program. If you qualify for scholarships for a certain ethnicity, apply for those. If you are a woman or a single mom, both local and national scholarships may be available. Businesses and corporations often have scholarships. If your parent, spouse, or relative works at a larger business or corporation have him or her check for available monies. If you are currently employed, especially in the healthcare field, check with your employer. There are often scholarships or tuition assistance programs for employees.

Last Updated: 05/22/2014